Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Blog-and-Run

To the readers of my one lonely blog post, I want to apologize for blogging-and-running.  I had every intention of having you follow along step-by-step as my husband and I worked together to find “OUR” sense of style and decorate our home in a way that reflects who we are as a couple.  However, since last October, many things happened to detour that mission.  Before I get back to the regularly scheduled programming, I would like to share them with you:

1) Lack of inspiration – I had put so much thought into this blog that the first post came as a cinch!  “This blogging thing is going to be a piece of cake!” thought I.  Not true.  I hadn’t realized that writing actually requires some inspiration and time.  This lead to:
2) Procrastination – Why not put off today what you can do tomorrow??
3) We found out I was pregnant!! – I can think of no better news to share with you, dear readers.  With two days left of 2012, I sent my husband in to gather the results of the test I had just taken.  “Pregnant” was all it said.  After many hugs and tears, we started this wonderfully exciting and scary journey to become parents. 

“Why would this hinder your blogging?”, you wonder.  I am so glad you asked.  You see, strange and unexpected things happen to you when you’re pregnant.  For instance, I had not expected to develop a complete disinterest, or rather, distaste for all-things-interior-design during my first trimester.  I am one who will spend hours, sometimes entire days, obsessing over, researching, and planning what I can do to make my house more visually inviting and physically comfortable.  Yet, I suddenly I found myself saying to my husband, “Let’s just hire a designer…I don’t want to have to think about this anymore.  I’m just not feeling creative or inspired and we HAVE to have the house done before the baby arrives!”  He would give me a concerned look and say, “But YOU are a designer!”, and then pretend to somewhat humor my demand.  I couldn’t even bring myself to read design publications.  My Architectural Digests would arrive and I would tuck them away in my desk, plastic sleeves still on, pretending they didn’t exist.  Needless to say, the first four and a half months of my pregnancy were a dark and strange time thanks to pregnancy hormones! 
4) We decided to sell our house – You will often hear that pregnancy causes couples to make crazy and hasty decisions.  Suddenly our house wasn’t good enough, it was going to require too much work to make it good enough, and it was just 20 minutes too far from my husband’s office.  We started meeting with our real estate agent and were lining up stagers.  We made an offer on a house.  Fortunately, another offer was accepted.  At that moment we stopped to catch our breath and realized, “Maybe we CAN turn our house into something great without too much work, let’s try it!”. 

Note: During this time, I deleted all of the “Before” pictures I had taken for this blog as I thought they would now be rendered moot.  That was a crazy and hasty decision!  You will now have to trust me when I say that each room of our house was blah, mismatched, and covered in yellow wall paint! 
5) We decided not to sell our house / I came out of the first trimester blues / The redesign was ON! - My interest in interior design came back with a vengeance, the Architectural Digests were taken out of their plastic sleeves, I started putting together inspiration boards and presenting them to my husband, I nearly completed the redesign of our house in the span of four months, and the thought of picking up the blog began to sound more appealing. 

6) More procrastination – I now have a greater respect for people who have chosen to write as a profession.  I just don’t understand how you people force yourselves to get the words out every day, inspired or not! 
7) I’m back! – This brings us to today.  Five weeks out from bringing a little man into this world and we have so much catching up to do.  Let’s do this!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment